Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Jolly Ole Saint Nickel-less: Or How I Turned Off the Christmas Machine Out of Economic Necessity and Ended Up Being Glad

What a festive time of year! So festive that no one wants to be in the middle of making a movie during the holidays. Ergo: Mass unemployment for those hapless creative types who are masochistic enough to want to work in film. While some might think it's fun to have loads of time off during the Season, I think they are the Some that have normal jobs with things called "benefits" like paid vacation. But I have made my bed and now I must lie in it (until it gets repossesed). It is a bed I happily lie in when I can say things like, "I'm going to the premiere tomorrow night," and "Our film is getting lots of buzz at Sundance." O.K. I'm still waiting to say that second one. The point is there's Glamour in this biz and the "starving" part is just the baggage that goes along with being able to call oneself an artist. Right?

So the other day I went into Media Play to spend the remaining bits of a gift card to make sure Anthony had something to open on Christmas Day on Christmas Day. I tell you, there were some kids there who should not be getting a visit from the Jolly Elf. Also, it doesn't surprise me one bit that Media Play is going out of business. They call 20% off a total store clearance??? Excuse me, but you're just now getting down to the same price as the rest of the retail world. I think the Scrooge at Media Play corporate headquarters must be green, furry, and have a heart three sizes too small. Or am I mixing metaphors...

That day out at Media Play was really my first and only foray into the wide world of Christmas consumer lust this year. And I realized that it's ugly and annoying and and and maybe I just feel that way because I would really like to get some nice gifts for the special people in my life and I'd also like to have some left over to do the Angel Tree thing. But I can't and it's really not making me terribly sad. Not like I thought it would.

Anthony does have---Christmas miracle---work the day after Christmas, so we decided to save the non existent gas money and stay here in Provo for Christmas. That means our Christmas will be devoid of the family party. And I'm ok with that. It means that I'll sleep in my bed on Christmas Eve. I'm really ok with that. It means that we'll be just the four of us opening a few presents on Christmas Day on Christmas Day. It means that we'll go to Church for only an hour on Christmas Day in the morning. Then we'll spend the rest of the day eating, watching movies, and hopefully playing some games together. (Backgammon---I always win!) It's quiet, it's cozy, it's family. It's Christmas.

2 comments:

Mom to 3 T's said...

We sure missed you, but understand (completely) the need to stay at home. We hope to see you soon.

Haven said...

Since we now have the in-tar-net at hour abode again, I am able to post and read posts.
I do agree with the eldest of us. You were sorely missed at Christmas. But I am glad that you were able to enjoy yourselves nonetheless.
How did the 24-hour film festival go? Was it the same thing as when you did the clown? Did you win again this year?
Much nubs