Monday, December 12, 2005

Adventures in Character Development Parte the First

So, I'm in the play Much Ado About Nothing. I'm very excited to be in it. I'm playing a female version of Don John (the Keanu Reeves character). I looked forward to the auditions for many months and when the time came to audition, I prepared a fair amount, I'd say. I was very anxious to be a part of the show. First of all, it's Shakespeare and I'd only ever done scenes of Shakespeare in acting classes. To conclude, it's being done at Provo Theatre Company which is "Utah County's Only Professional Theatre." Sixth, and lastly, the director is really cool and knows his Shakespeare. I felt pretty good about my audition. And I certainly know that all you can do in an audition is your best because you can't control if you're too tall, or if someone thinks you have funny speech patterns, or if someone else is sleeping with some decision maker.
I was thrilled to get the call that I had been cast.

And then I panicked.

When I was accepted to film school, I more or less left acting for about 10 years to pursue behind the scenes stuff. After I had been working as a casting director for a year or so I decided it was time to throw my hat in the ring again. I was not very familiar with local theatres so I just called them all to find out about upcoming auditions. I was soon cast in a production of Servant of Two Masters playing Beatrice. It was a bad production. For example, one of the director's directions to some young cast members was "Show some feeling in this scene." His instruction to us the night before we opened was, "Make sure you have your lines and blocking memorized."
After that, I got an agent for film work and actually got a couple of commercials and a small part in a movie that was mercifully excluded from the final cut. All of that, though, is just snippets of character. A few lines. Thirty seconds of air time. Certainly nothing you have to sustain. Nothing to sink one's teeth into.

Thus the panic. It's really been a long time. What if I can't really do this? What if I actually suck and nobody's told me yet but they're all thinking it?

The third day of rehearsal we were blocking the scenes I'm in and I was a stone. A dull, feelingless stone devoid of any creative spark. I knew I could see behind Chris's eyes regret at having cast me. Was the young actor playing Conrad repulsed at having to play opposite and old hag like me? I thought so. At work the next day I told Alisa of my feelings of being woefully inadequate. She was supportive and assured me that she knew I could and would do great and make it funny. After all, she reminded me, we've only had three reahearsals.

Armed with reassurances from her and dear Anthony, I worked on my lines during the week and thought about character in preparation for the first act blocking run through on Saturday.
CKYlucilesketch I found a picture of a dress that was used in a film in 1918(the year we're setting the play) that gave me an image. And, although I've got more time to work this out, here's where I'm headed: Equal parts spider, snake and Norma Desmond.
norma

And Saturday's rehearsal went so much better.
I'm just going to ignore what's behind Chris's eyes.
chriseyes

10 comments:

kacy faulconer said...

Well you and Chris better get it right because I am really looking forward to being wowed.

Hillary said...

No pressure, eh?

C. Jane Kendrick said...

Chris has noooo idea what he is doing Hillary, take it from me, I know.

Hope that helps honey.

Hillary said...

Perhaps I've misrepresented a bit. Chris has been nothing but supportive. It's my own insecurities that see behind his eyes...

Haven said...

Hill, you're the best and deep down you know it! You're doing absolutely fabulous I'm sure. We're going to try and see if we can come up to witness the great marvel on stage that is you.

Nubs!

Lisa said...

I guarentee "that look" behind Christopher's eyes is, "hmmm, I'd really like a grilled ham and cheese. . . "

Excited to see your performance!

Unknown said...

Oh, I saw your audition, girl and you're going to be fab! Chris doesn't know what he's talking about--he's the great pretender.

C. Jane Kendrick said...

Grilled ham and cheese.
That was funny Lisa.

Hailey said...

Hey, you know what's funny? That picture of teh lady from 1918 and the whole spider image reminds me of Yzma from "Emperor's New Groove," and one time, when I was watching you and Mark, I thought, "Wow, she's kind of like Yzma and he's Kronk--cool." But Yzma with a twist--a Norma Desmond one--so great. So now that I've read this, I think you're even more brilliantfor capturing your own vision! Is it bad that I, on the other hand, keep thinking of Beatrice as Veronica Mars? I think maybe...

Hillary said...

If I'm Ysma, am I scary beyond all reason? That's great imagery!
I had to look up who Veronica Mars is cuz I don't watch TV (until 24 comes back on)!
So, if Beatrice is Veronica Mars, why doesn't she solve the mystery behind the Hero is a Contaminated Stale slander?